What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a Government backed scheme that helps you to guard against the most common cyber threats. It is a technical assessment of your IT systems and processes that is designed to be widely accessible to all sizes of business.
Latest Government statistics show 1 in 3 businesses have suffered cyber security breaches or attacks in the last 12 months.
Cyber attacks come in many shapes and sizes, but the vast majority are relatively basic. The digital equivalent of a thief trying your car door to see if it’s unlocked.
These attacks regardless of complexity have negative financial and reputational implications on your organisation. The Cyber Essentials assessment identifies vulnerabilities thus reducing the chance of an attack.
The Cyber Essentials scheme addresses the most common Internet-based threats to cyber security — particularly, attacks that use widely available tools and demand little skill. The scheme considers these threats to be:
- Hacking — exploiting known vulnerabilities in Internet-connected devices, using widely available tools and techniques
- Phishing — and other ways of tricking users into installing or executing a malicious application
- Password guessing — manual or automated attempts to log on from the Internet, by guessing passwords
How can Cyber Essentials help your business?
- Reassure customers that you take cyber security seriously
- Attract new business with the promise you have cyber security measures in place (many Government tenders now require businesses to be Cyber Essentials certified)
- For your own peace of mind and to reduce the risk of business disruption due to downtime as a result of cyber attacks
- Protect your organisation against approximately 80% of cyber attacks
- Reduce the cost of cyber insurance premiums
Cyber Essentials vs Cyber Essentials Plus
There are two levels of the certification, Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus. Both assess 5 technical security controls to ensure certain requirements are met.
For the Cyber Essentials certification, your organisation will complete a self-assessment questionnaire which will then reviewed by an independent external certifying body.
Cyber Essentials is a good starting point for small businesses, providing a framework for cyber standards and identifying vulnerabilities.
The cost of self-assessment leading to certification against basic Cyber Essentials is only £300 (plus VAT) per organisation.
Cyber Essentials Plus
The Cyber Essentials Plus certification on the other hand requires verification of your 5 technical security controls by an independent external auditor. The verification is on top of your self-assessment questionnaire.
The Cyber Essential Plus certification is recommended for businesses of all sizes wanting an extra level of assurance.
The cost of a Cyber Essentials Plus certification starts at £1,500 (plus VAT), the price will depend on the size and complexity of your network and the time it takes to review it.
For a personalised quote please get in touch.
What are the next steps?
We know that taking the next steps can be daunting, but that’s where we come in.
Here at ACM we offer both Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus certifications, so if you’re not sure which solution is best suited for your organisation contact us and one our friendly team will be in touch.
Not only will we talk you through the process, but they can answer any questions you may have.
Ready to take the next step? Contact ACM now, and one of our friendly team will be in touch.